- Widgets are little applications which can be placed on the home screen of your Android device.
- A widget gets its data on a periodic timetable. There are two methods to update a widget, one is based on an XML configuration file and the other is based on AlarmManager.
Steps to write a widget
- Define a layout file for your widget.
- Maintain an XML file (AppWidgetProviderInfo) which describes the properties of the widget, e.g. size or fixed update frequency.
- Create a broadcast receiver which will be used to update the widget. This receiver extends AppWidgetProvider which provides additional lifecycle hooks for widgets.
- Maintain the App Widget configuration in the "AndroidManifest.xml" file.
- Optional, you can also specify a configuration activity which is called once when one instance of the widget is added to the homescreen.